Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I'm a BIG kid now!

I don't want to speak too soon by saying that Mason is potty trained. So I will happily say that he is well on his way to Begin potty trained. As any of you who have read my post from this past Thursday, you would know that I began the process that day. I have to admit that the first 24 hours was stressful.
Friday he sat on the potty for much of the day, with about the same success as Thursday. He peed in the potty three times and only had one accident, which really wasn't too bad. He had pooped in his underwear, but came to me as soon as he had done it, so nothing was mushed up on anything. The underwear were save-able if you can believe that. Him pooping in his underwear was still stressful and I wondered if this was what I really wanted to deal with at this time. But then I calmed down and tried to be rational, I was going to have to go through this at some point, so I may as well go through it now. I tried to tell myself that it would all be worth it in the end, I wouldn't have to potty train him in our new house and get pee all over the new carpet, and I wouldn't be spending as much money on diapers.
Saturday we took a break from the potty training when we went to Riverfront Park and I think this threw Mason off a bit because he didn't have any success the rest of the day.
Sunday we stayed home from church (can you believe that) to continue the training. The morning was tragic for Mason. He pooped once again in his underwear, but this time they were not save-able. So as we cleaned him up and put his underwear in a plastic bag, showed him the underwear, and told him that we were going to have to throw the underwear away because he pooped in them instead of in the toilet. Mason watched me throw the underwear in the garbage and began to cry. Later that afternoon Jeff let Mason try peeing standing up, right next to Jeff as he went "potty". (sorry of the mental picture, I'm sure it's just what you all wanted, right?) Well, Mason was very successful at peeing standing up, probably more successful than most adult men are.
Monday we had just one accident in the morning. But as soon as he began to go, he stopped himself and we went to the bathroom where he finished going and was also able to poop in the toilet!
Today he did not have any accidents! YEAH! He told me when he needed to go and went right in and did his thing (standing of course because he wants to do it just like his Daddy.)
I am really surprised at how fast Mason has potty trained, I really figured it would take him at least a few weeks before he went a day without an accident, not just five days. I am so proud of Mason, but also of Jeff and I for finally sticking to the potty training this time. I hope Mason continues to have the same success with this.
I don't have any pictures of his poop this time so sorry for those of you who enjoyed the last picture and you are welcome to those of you who did not.

1 comment:

DeAnne said...

Woo hoo! good job Mason!