I was scheduled to be induced Thursday morning at 6am, Kinley had other plans though.
I went to bed around 11pm Wednesday night, but I didn't sleep well. I woke up around 12:30am with some pelvic pressure. I slept off and on until about 2:10am. At 2:20am I felt like Kinley punched me "down there", at that point, the pelvic pressure got even worse. I got up to use the bathroom. When I came out, Jeff had woken up and asked if I was okay. I felt really weird and when I tried to answer Jeff's question, all I could say was, "uh....I don't know, I think so, uh.... maybe not, I don't know." Truly , I was just mumbling. I don't think anything I said came out clear. Jeff asked me if we needed to go to the hospital. More mumbling and nonsense. Then I had a contraction. Not just a contraction, but a contraction that, if I were at the hospital, I would have asked for an epidural after that one. (When I am in labor, I like to go though as much of my labor and contractions without an epidural, only getting one when I feel like I can't handle any more pain.) I then had another contraction that was so painful, I couldn't hold myself up. I told Jeff I wanted to take a shower before going. He laughed at me, told me "No, we're going now", and insisted on me getting dressed and going.
We were in the car on the way to the hospital by about 2:35am. The whole way there, I had more strong contractions, really close together, lasting for over a minute each. We got to labor and delivery at 3:00am. They took me right back to the triage area. "Really, you're going to triage me?", I asked the nurse, annoyed. "Yup, we triage everyone", she said. Once in the triage room, I had a few more contractions while trying to get undressed, so the nurse could check my cervix. As I was getting on the bed, my water broke (at 3:10am) and when the nurse checked me I was dilated 6cm. Not a surprise, with the contractions I'd been having.
I was then rushed off to a delivery room. At this point, the contractions were almost unbearably painful. I was grunting, saying oh my gosh, oh frick, this hurts, grunting, saying oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh frick, this hurts, this hurts, over and over again. The nurse in L&D tried unsuccessfully to get an IV started in one arm, so she moved onto the other arm. I asked for an epidural. Jeff laughed at me. (rude) "Uh, I don't think you're getting one", he said. My contractions were so close together, and so painful that I couldn't hold my arm still long enough for the nurse to get an IV started. Jeff had to help hold down my arm, while I basically held him in a choke hold to help deal with the pain. squeezing his arm or hand just wasn't cutting it. Once the IV was in place, I felt like I needed to push. My nurse checked my cervix and I was at 9.5cm, so after getting through one more painful contraction I was allowed to push. Sometime during the blur of it all, my Doctor arrived. Luckily, he was already at the hospital delivering another baby. I pushed one time. Kinley's cord was wrapped around her neck. Once my Doctor freed the cord from around her neck, I pushed one more time and Kinley was all the way out.
Her stats were:
Born at 3:31am on Thursday August 23rd.
Weighing 7 lbs 2 ozs.
20 inches long.
Head circumference of 14 inches.
I have always wondered what it would be like to have a "natural" birth, but I've never been brave enough to do it. I don't think I could have done it if my labor was much longer than it was. It was probably the most intense hour and ten minutes of my life. I feel so blessed to have a perfect and healthy baby girl to snuggle and love.
I have always wondered what it would be like to have a "natural" birth, but I've never been brave enough to do it. I don't think I could have done it if my labor was much longer than it was. It was probably the most intense hour and ten minutes of my life. I feel so blessed to have a perfect and healthy baby girl to snuggle and love.
Kinley with Dr. Richards
Papa Borders
Grandma Borders
Grandma Meador
Two proud big brothers and a not so sure big sister.
Papa Meador
The Snell Family
Ready to go home.
2 comments:
Wow, what a story...that was fast, if you decide to have anymore, you might be spending the final week or two in the hospital just to make sure you will be there on time lol...our you will be having a baby at home.
Gorgeous family...congratulations.
You are amazing for getting through that! I'm glad you guys made it to the hospital in time. Congrats again, she's a cutie!
Post a Comment