Saturday, September 28, 2013

Student Choice Assignment, Week 1, New Testament Class

Choice 2: Acts 16; 18. Paul’s Second Mission

   1.      Trace Paul’s second missionary journey from Bible Map 13. List the names of four cities he visited, to whom he later wrote epistles. Read Acts 16:6-10; 18:9-11. Write a paragraph explaining the different ways the Holy Ghost directed Paul and his companions during their journey. Write a second paragraph describing how the Spirit has directed your missionary efforts, and one way you could be more directed by the Spirit in your life.
Four cities Paul visited were: Samaria, Tarsus, Derbe, and Macedonia.

While Paul was on his journey, he was “forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia”. Once they got to Mysia they wanted to go preach in Bithynia but the Spirit told them not to. While Paul was sleeping, he had a vision where a man from Macedonia stood and was asking for Paul to come preach in Macedonia. After his vision, they immediately went into Macedonia to preach the gospel to the people there. The Lord told Paul in a vision to, “Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace, for I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee, for I have much people in this city”. Paul remained in that city for 1 ½ years and preached the gospel.

The spirit has directed me in my missionary efforts several times. The time that is most meaningful to me was when I introduced my husband, Jeff to the gospel. We worked together while we were in our Junior and Senior years of high school. I wasn’t really looking to convert someone to the gospel, but as we got to know each other more, it became obvious to me that he was searching for truths, but was unsuccessful up to that point. On day, I had a very strong impression that I needed to invite him to take the missionary discussions. Little did I know, but he had also had a very strong impression that he needed to ask if he could take the discussions. After taking the discussions Jeff was baptized and 16 months later we were sealed in the temple. For me, I strive every day to live worthy of the Holy Ghost’s companionship, but one way I could be more directed by the Spirit in my life is to specifically ask for his guidance in helping me to know who I know or come in contact with could use the gospel message in their life.

   2.      Review Acts 16:9-33. Make a list of the reasons Paul was able to preach the gospel so effectively. Then in writing answer the following questions:
·         In what ways did Paul turn his experiences into missionary opportunities?  Even though Paul saw a certain man in his vision, he and Silas were not solely focused on finding that man, they served other along their way. He taught and baptized a woman by the name of Lydia and healed a woman by casting an evil spirit out of her. After casing out the evil spirit, Paul was thrown into prison. While in prison, they did not lose their faith, instead, Paul and Silas prayed and sang praises unto God.
·         What can you learn from Paul’s missionary experiences? 
When we are asked to do things that seem hard, we need to obey without questioning. We all go through trials in our lives, even those who are called of God to do his work. We need not doubt the Lord. We need to continue to have faith that he will bless us.
·         How is the jailer an example of a true convert?
The jailer was an example of a true convert by the way he reacted when he witnessed a miracle from God. While Paul and Saul were in prison, God caused an earthquake to shake the foundations of the prison to shake and all the doors to open. The jailer recognized what had just happened and fell to the ground and confessed to Paul and Silas that he believed in the Lord Jesus Christ and was baptized that night.
·         How does Mosiah 4:9-10 expand your understanding of Acts 17:30-31? 
We need to believe in God, believe that he has all wisdom, and believe that man does not comprehend all the things which the Lord does comprehend. We also need to repent of our sins and humble ourselves and do the things that we are commanded to do.
·         What can you do now to better prepare yourself to share the gospel, whether as a full-time missionary or as a member? 

I could make a list of people I know who I think need to hear the gospel message and then I could pray about that list for guidance as to who I could share the gospel with. 

No comments: