As most of you know, Mason has asthma and begins to have an asthma attack if he runs around a lot and is allergic to cats and dogs, what else he may be allergic to we don't know, but we will be having him tested of allergies come summer.
About a month ago, I took Mason into the doctor because he had a cough (and he had the cough for two months previous to that) but when Jeff listened to Mason with his stethoscope, his lungs sounded clear. I explained to the doctor that he coughs when he runs around a lot, when he is around animals, and well, pretty much all the time. I also told her that we would give him nebulizer treatments when the coughing would get really bad, but the treatments would only subside the coughing for a few hours.
I told our doctor that I didn't think it was fair for Mason to have to stop running around like every other three year old boy, just because he has asthma. I hated having to tell Mason that he had to settle down when he was having so much fun, I know he just thought I was punishing him. Our doctor agreed with me that Mason should be able to play and be like every other three year old and so she put Mason on Singulair. Within about a week of taking him medicine we really noticed a decrease in his coughing, and after another week, the coughing was gone!
Mason had a follow-up appointment with his doctor today. He is doing very well on his medication, but she reminded me to still keep Mason away from cats and dogs (and all other animals until we have his allergy tests done in the summer) as much as possible because the medication is not a "cure all". He can still have asthma attacks.
In my own perfect little world, none of our family members or friends would have cat or dogs. Since I don't have my own perfect world, and never will, we just have to limit the time we expose Mason to cats and dogs. I don't like having to limit our time that we get to spend at those family members and friends' houses, but we have to do what is best for Mason, and not let our selfish desires of wanting to stay and visit take over.
2 comments:
Poor Mason. It's just not fair that kids get sick. I'm really glad that you found a medication that works for him though. Finding the right medication for things is almost harder than dealing with the symptom some times. I'm gald it's not that way for him.
Oh wow, I am glad the medicine is helping. Poor little guy, that's gotta be tough. You can come vist our house anytime :) No pets here, just Justin. I hope he outgrows some of his allergies. XOXOXO
Post a Comment