Tuesday I got another 40 pound box of fresh (never been previously frozen) boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.58/lb. These chicken breasts are so big! They are at least twice the size of Costco's frozen chicken breasts. Last time I got the chicken I made 16 meals and froze them. With the remaining chicken I portioned it into amounts our family would eat and froze those portions in freezer bags. I really liked doing it that way, but if we had someone over for dinner I had to thaw out another bag, even if I only need half of it.
So this time I decided to try flash freezing. I'd never done it before, I just knew that frozen chicken (or other foods) from the store have been flash frozen first so that the chicken isn't stuck together in one big clump, thus allowing you to use the right amount of chicken or other food for each meal. I looked it up on the internet and all it said was to use cookie sheets and put wax paper over the cookie sheets, then place the desired food on the wax paper, being careful the food is not touching, then freeze until completely frozen (2-24 hours). Sounds easy enough, well it was!
The first batch I froze, I portioned into meal sizes and added in the bags either BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, or an oil/honey/soy sauce/garlic marinate. I ended up with 9 meals. Now I am so excited to fire up the grill!
2 comments:
That is so cool Crystyne. Do you guys have a freezer in your garage? We left our freezer up with the house in Newport. I would like another one, so I can store things like this. Go Crystyne!
Yes, we do have a freezer in our garage. I want a bigger one though.
Post a Comment