Yesterday, after the boys woke up from their naps, we decided to take a little walk through our neighborhood. I was really excited to go on a walk because I too, like the boys, had just woken up from a nap, and I was still a bit groggy so I figured a little walk would help me to wake up. We stuck Cooper in the stroller and Mason rode his bike. Going on a walk woke me in alright. It not only woke me up from the sleepy state I was in, but it also woke me up to what a great neighborhood we live in, and what a not so good neighborhood we previously lived in. Now I'm not saying that we lived in the worst neighborhood before, it wasn't slum ville or anything, but our new neighborhood is definitely a step up. While on our (approx. five block) walk, we must have seen ten different families out doing various activities. Some were tending to their yards, some were out on a walk/bike ride as well, one family was playing three-on-three football. It was really refreshing to see people out, enjoying the day together. Probably the best thing of all was that they were all really friendly, as we would pass, we would say hello to each other. When we would go on walks in our previous neighborhood, we would see one or two people, but they were never out in their yards, spending time together, they were usually heading from their car to their house, or the other way around. We would always hesitate saying anything, fearing the response we might receive.
I am really grateful we live in a neighborhood surrounded by friendly people, who, when I see them, my immediate reaction is not wondering if they are dug dealers, with my second reaction to want to run in my house and hide.
No comments:
Post a Comment