Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Cooper's Allergies

At around 12:15 today I gave Cooper a small piece of the peanut butter and Jelly sandwich I was eating. (I literally gave him less than a normal bit size piece) After he ate that he puked up some mucus stuff. I didn't think much of it because he does this when he has a runny nose accompanied with mucus draining down the back of his throat. He chokes on the mucus and when he coughs to clear the mucus he pukes up the contents of his stomach.
So I went on with my normal routine not thinking there was anything major wrong with Cooper. Once I got Cooper out of his high chair I noticed he was really slimy so I put him in the tub for a quick bath before nap. After his bath I got him dressed and took him in his room to nurse him and put him down for his nap. After nursing him he puked once again. This time he managed to puke up everything he had in his stomach. It got ALL over him, me, the rocking chair, and the floor.
Once he puked he started freaking out and nothing I did seemed to comfort him. I got Cooper out of his nasty clothes and took Cooper to my room with me so I could change my clothes. Once I was in better light I could see that Cooper had hives all over and his skin was BRIGHT RED, and his face was swollen. (This was around 1:45pm)
I put some hydrocortisone cream on him and that didn't seem to calm him down any, so I also gave him some tylenol. After about ten minutes of no improvements I called Jeff, crying. I told him to go buy some benadryl and come home now! He said ok and I hung up with out really saying good bye. I can't remember with all the stress if I even told Jeff what was wrong.
Once Jeff got home around 2:30pm we gave him some benadryl and finally about an hour after that the hives started to go away. All this time we monitored his breathing to make sure he was not having a hard time breathing. Cooper was able to catch a little nap laying on me and when he woke up the swelling in his face had gone down a bit.
Before putting him to bed at 6:30pm we gave him another dose of benadryl. The hives were gone, except a few on his legs and the swelling in his face had gone down all the way, his skin was still blotchy and pink.
Also, Cooper was diagnosed with eczema a few months ago, but now we are thinking that maybe he is allergic to peanuts and when I eat peanuts or peanut butter, and then nurse him that he is getting a small amount of the peanuts and that is what is causing him to break out in (minor) hives that looks like eczema.
So I guess I won't be feeding him anything with peanuts in it for a while.
Crystyne

1 comment:

DeAnne said...

Crystyne! How scary! That's a rough way to find out about an allergy. I'm glad he is feeling better and now you guys know. Poor li'l guy :(