Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Starfall

I am always wondering as Mason is watching these so called "educational" shows, if he is really learning any thing from them. I have heard reviews that say that children really don't learn any thing from these shows. I am not surprised at these reviews. Have you ever sat down and watched these shows? I have. You know how Dora the Explorer, Go Diego Go!, Handy Manny and others like them "teach" children Spanish? I know for myself I don't learn any Spanish from them, so I am sure children are not either.
OK I know the shows I mentioned are probably geared for children a bit older than Mason, so here are a few other examples. Sesame Street and Super Why, teach children numbers and letters. I have never once seen Mason be able to recognize a number or letter as a result of watching these shows. I mean give me a break, you think a child is going to recognize these numbers and letters, and know what sound these numbers and letters make, just from seeing them ONE time? Yeah right. I don't think so. Who came up with these shows? and really thought they would be "educational"? Obviously not a parent or someone with a degree in elementary education.
Alright, alright, I know you are probably wondering why I am ranting and raving about these "educational" shows. Well a friend of mine showed me a website that teaches children how to read. On this website there are four different sections to chose from, depending on how old and at what level of reading your child is at. I have not checked out all of the sections, as Mason is only three, and obviously not reading, yet. The only section I have used is the "ABC's- Let's get ready to read". Mason loves to get on and click on different letters in the alphabet and be able to do the different activities that go along with that letter. I have noticed that since I have let Mason go through the different letters and their individual activities, he is able to recognize letters more than ever before (watching those "educational" shows).
If you want to check out this website it is:
You can also print coloring and other activity pages.

No comments: