Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My new method

Jeff has always said, "If you can't bedazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with B.S." Today I thought I would give that method a try with Mason. See, Mason has the personality that if he is trying to communicate something with me and I don't understand what he wants he will throw a fit and scream at me. I guess he thinks he will be able to help me understand what he wants. Oh, boy is he wrong!! Today for some reason one of these fits was brought on. Mason wanted me to get something out of the fridge for him, but I did not understand what he wanted. He started to get really upset and when I tried to close the refrigerator door, he whipped it right back open. I shut it again, got him to calm down a little so I could explain why the door needed to be closed.
A few minutes later, Mason's imaginary bee (if you have not read the previous post, stop here and read it so you can become acquainted with Mason's imaginary bee) some how became trapped in the closed fridge. Of course Mason went back to the fridge and opened the door. With out me saying anything to him, he began ranting and raving about how he needed the fridge door left open so the bee would come out. Mason came to me, screaming at the top of his lungs about the bee in the fridge.
At this point I was not sure what to do. In the past when he has thrown these fits; I have tried ignoring him, sending him to his room, going with him to his room for some one-on-one time, I have even tried laughing at him. With having no success with these methods I was scrambling to figure out what to do.
So I decided I would try to convince/confuse his as to where his little imaginary bee was. I told him that I saw the bee fly out of the fridge, so he went over and closed the fridge door. Phew, first part of the issue, taken care of. Then he came back to me wanting to know where the bee was. I took my finger and pinched his back and said the bee was on his back. He turned around and asked me to take the bee off, which I did and when he turned around I pretended to throw the bee across the room. Mason looked at me kinda confused, kinda relieved and said, "Thanks Mom" and that ended the fit.

So, the moral of the story is- If you can't bedazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with B.S.

And I guess I have to admit, yes, Jeff you were right on this one.

1 comment:

Britany Michelle said...

Serioulsy, your kid cracks me up!